This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
Survey of Inmates in Local Jails, 1983: [United States] (ICPSR 8274)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
This survey provides data on inmates' socioeconomic and demographic characteristics, previous military service, prior criminal history, jail activities, drug and alcohol use, health care, and current offenses.
These data are available to the general public.
U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. SURVEY OF INMATES OF LOCAL JAILS, 1983: [UNITED STATES]. Conducted by U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. ICPSR08274-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 1997. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08274.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08274.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Persons confined to jails in the United States in 1983.
Data Types: survey data
Sample: Multistage probability sample. Jails were stratified according to the number and gender of inmates housed. Some large jails were included with certainty. Sample ratios of inmates within the selected jails vary by strata.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1985-10-09
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1997-02-13 SAS data definition statements are now available for this collection and the SPSS data definition statements have been updated.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~19 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.