View Record Details

Pub. Type:
Prison Inmates at Midyear 2007
Subtitle/Series Name:
Pub. Date:
Jun 2008
This annual report describes changes in the prison population during the first 6 months of 2007, compared to changes from yearend 2000 through yearend 2006. It details the incarceration rates for prisoners sentenced to more than 1 year by jurisdiction, the number of incarcerated males and females, and the number of prisoners admitted into and released from Federal and State jurisdictions. The bulletin also presents data on the total number of inmates held in custody in prisons or jails on June 30, 2007. It provides estimates of the custody population by gender, race, and age. The custody incarceration rates for these groups are also included. Counts of the number of noncitizens and individuals under age 18 held in custody are included. See also "Jail Inmates at Midyear 2007." Highlights include the following: Between January and June 2007, the prison population increased by 1.6 percent (or 24,919 prisoners), compared to a 2-percent increase during the first 6 months of 2006; the number of prisoners sentenced to more than 1 year increased 1.7 percent between December 31, 2006 and June 30, 2007, or at about the same rate as the total number of prisoners under jurisdiction; between 2000 and 2007, the number of inmates in custody in prisons or jails increased by 367,200; male inmates (315,100) accounted for 86 percent of the increase to the custody population; and female inmates (52,100) made up the remaining 14 percent. source
NCJ 221944
United States Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics
Place of Production:
Washington, DC

Related Studies

This publication is related to the following dataset(s):

Found a problem? Use our Report Problem form to let us know.