National Survey of Family Growth, Cycle II, 1976: Interval File (ICPSR 8181)
Alternate Title: 1976 NSFG: Interval File
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Center for Health Statistics
This data collection contains detailed information collected from 8,611 respondents about their pregnancy histories, including the date, outcome, and order of all pregnancies, whether they were single or multiple births, sex and weight of infants, mortality, breastfeeding of infants, and information on the respondent's residence, periods of non-intercourse, contraceptive methods used, and regularity of use. Other information about the respondents can be found in NATIONAL SURVEY OF FAMILY GROWTH, CYCLE II, 1976: COUPLE FILE (ICPSR 7902). In addition, the Couple File contains summary measures of fertility derived from this data collection.
These data are available to the general public.
This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Center for Health Statistics. National Survey of Family Growth, Cycle II, 1976: Interval File. ICPSR08181-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2008-10-27. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08181.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08181.v1
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Unit of Observation: individual
Universe: Women living in the coterminous United States, aged 15-44 years inclusive, who were either currently married, previously married, or never married but had offspring presently living in the household.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) Data for CYCLE I, 1973 (ICPSR 7898), CYCLE II, 1976: COUPLE FILE (ICPSR 7902), CYCLE III, 1982 (ICPSR 8328), CYCLE IV, 1988 (ICPSR 9473) and 1990 (ICPSR 6643), CYCLE V, 1995 (ICPSR 6960), and CYCLE VI, 2002 (ICPSR 4157) are also available from ICPSR. (2) Dates in this dataset are often given as century months. For more detailed information on how century months are calculated please see the "Date Codes" section of the codebook.
Sample: A multistage probability sample of women from approximately 33,000 households.
Response Rates: The sample consisted of 10,202 eligible women of whom 8,611 completed extended interviews yielding a response rate of approximately 84 percent.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Created online analysis version with question text.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-07-12
- 2008-10-27 This study has been updated to include SAS, SPSS, and Stata setup files as well as SAS transport, SPSS system, and Stata system files.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~56 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.