India Human Development Survey (IHDS), 2005 (ICPSR 22626)
The India Human Development Survey 2005 (IHDS) is a nationally representative, multi-topic survey of 41,554 households in 1,503 villages and 971 urban neighborhoods across India. Two one-hour interviews in each household covered topics concerning health, education, employment, economic status, marriage, fertility, gender relations, and social capital. Children aged 8-11 completed short reading, writing and arithmetic tests. Additional village, school, and medical facility interviews are also available.
The public-use data files in this collection are available for access by the general public. Access does not require affiliation with an ICPSR member institution.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
Desai, Sonalde, Reeve Vanneman, and National Council of Applied Economic Research, New Delhi. India Human Development Survey (IHDS), 2005. ICPSR22626-v11. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2016-02-16. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR22626.v11
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR22626.v11
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Institutes of Health. Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (R01HD041455)
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: child care, child rearing, demographic characteristics, disposable income, education, employment, extended families, family background, family life, fertility, gender roles, gender stereotypes, health, housework, housing, income, marital status, parents, social status, socioeconomic status
The IHDS dataset was produced by the National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER), New Delhi, and the University of Maryland.
IHDS User Guides and Questionnaires are available for download from the India Human Development Survey Documentation page.
For additional information regarding the India Human Development Survey, please visit the India Human Development Survey Web site.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Created variable labels and/or value labels.
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2008-07-30
- 2016-02-16 This collection has been updated with a user guide and revised questionnaires obtained from the India Human Development Survey Documentation page.
- 2013-06-17 The Household data (Part 2) were updated to add the following eight variables that had been mistakenly omitted from the dataset: NWORK, NFARM, NANIMAL, NAGWAGE, NNONAG, NSALARY, NBUSINESS, and INCOTHER. The Household data codebook was also updated.
- 2010-06-29 Additional documentation file has been added.
- 2010-05-04 Additional documentation files have been added.
- 2010-03-25 At the principal investigator's request, an ID variable was removed.
- 2010-02-17 Added village-level and crop data as new parts
- 2009-08-25 Added updated versions of the Medical and Primary School questionnaires.
- 2009-06-22 Added updated versions of the Household and the Individual datasets, and added Medical, Non-Resident, School, and Birth History datasets.
- 2009-02-10 Added the original questionnaires that were used during data collection.
- 2008-12-11 At the principal investigator's request, an ID variable was removed and the citation was updated
- 2008-08-22 The title for Part 1 has been revised and response rate information has been added.
- List all ~252 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.